College of the Mind - Philosophy
Lesson 2 - Existence
by Duane Bristow
I think, therefore I am! But what else is?
Which of the following things exist?
- A rock
- A deer
- A dream
- A thought
- A soul
- George Washington
- Your not yet conceived child
- A shadow
- A flashlight beam
- Your mirror image
- The star you see in the nighttime sky which is 100 light years
away and, unknown to you, was destroyed 50 years ago.
- Empty space
- The person you were at age 10
- Abraham Lincoln's ax which has had 10 new heads and 12 new handles
since Abraham Lincoln owned it
- A black hole which no one can see and which swallows up all
evidence of its existence
- A quark
- The edge of the universe
- Anything beyond the edge of the universe
- The beginning of time or the end of time
- Anything before the beginning or after the end of time
- The Internet - check this link
If I cease to exist, will these other things exist or is their existence
dependent on my knowledge of them?
This is not a test. It is an exercise to help you learn by doing research and
by thinking. Look up internet references and
books on philosophy. Ask me questions by
See The Multiple Meanings of Metaphysics.
Use the keyword "metaphysics" on Internet search engines like yahoo, etc.
Think about the answers to these questions. Write the answers; at least in
outline form. After reflecting on this write an essay to answer the question,
"What is the nature of existence?"
Send me the essay by email.
College of the Mind
Last revised May 8, 1996.
Go to Top Menu..
..of Duane & Eva's Old Kentucky Home PageDuane Bristow (email@example.com)
Please send comments.
All contents copyright (C) 1996, Duane Bristow. All rights reserved.